Pimpri-Chinchwad city with 206 Sq. Km. base is situated
towards northeast and 160 k.m. from Mumbai.
city Pimpri-Chinchwad is predominantly an industrial
area, developed during last 4 decades. The process of
urbanization of this area began in 1954 with the establishment
of "Hindustan Antibiotics" a public sector
pharmaceutical undertaking. With each coming year the
landscape began to change from long stretches of farm
land to clusters of enclosed factory campuses. The first
response came in 1970, in form of creation of Municipal
Council incorporating four villages-panchayat in the
area. In 1982 the civic body was upgraded to its present
status namely "MUNICIPAL CORPORATION". During
proceeding decades the population of this town has increased
from 85,000 to 10,00,000.
it is an industrial area, the atmosphere is quite pleasant
and fresh. Efficient planning and concern for the environment
has led to plantation on a large scale, which keeps
the pollution level to minimal.
PCMC has been on forefront of greeting urban environment
since its inception and has undertaken various projects
like Durgadevi Hill Park, Environmental Park, Ayurvedic
Medicine plantation garden, Bhosari Picnic Center, Indira
Gandhi Udyan (Appu Ghar).
has received first prize in the state for "Excellence
in Energy conservation Award" from MEDA, Government
of Maharashtra and also received second Prize from Government
of Maharashtra for exceptional "Increase in Octroi
collection". Recently citizen-centric project of
PCMC "Citizen Facilitation Center" has received
Bronze Icon at the 8th National Conference for e-Governance